top of page

The CNaVT exam

Prove your Dutch skills with a CNaVT certificate! 

Registration are now closed (March 15, 2024). 

The 2024 exams will be held in the first two weeks of May.


Interested in next year's exams? Get in touch!

Or check out the other exams, if you need a certificate sooner.

Are you planning to move, work or study in The Netherlands or Belgium?

You may need a certificate for:

  • A visa

  • School admissions

  • University course requirements

  • Employment

Dutch Academy is an official examiner of the CNaVT and organizes the exams in the Vancouver Lower Mainland. 


Do you need to take a different exam like the Civic Integration Exam (Abroad)?  

Some schools or unions in Europe have their own Dutch exams, feel free to get in touch with me and I can help you figure out what exam you need exactly.

CNaVT (Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language)


The CNaVT is known as ‘Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal’ (=Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language) and certifies language proficieny of Dutch as a foreign language worldwide, using task based and domain specific exams related to the CEFR.

CNaVT exams are organized all around the world for adults who want to prove their language proficiency in Dutch with an internationally recognized certificate. The CNaVT is also a segment of the Association of Language Tester in Europe (ALTE).


Candidates can take the CNaVT exams in the first half of May of every year. This moment is facilitated by the official examiners (Dutch Academy). Candidates must contact the school that organizes the exam, to sign up for the exams.

All the exams are sent to Leuven, where they are marked in June. In July the examiners and candidates are informed of the results. Candidates who have passed, receive a certificate.

Read more about the CNaVT on their website.


The CNaVT exam levels

A2 - Maatschappelijk Informeel (INFO) 

For those who want to demonstrate they can manage in informal everyday situations.


B1 - Maatschappelijk Formeel (FORM)

For those who want to demonstrate they can manage independently in more formal contexts in the Dutch or Flemish society.


B2 - Zakelijk Professioneel (PROF

For those who need Dutch in an occupational context, more specifically in healthcare and administration.


B2 - Educatief Startbekwaam (STRT)

For those who would like to start a study at a Flemish or Dutch institution of higher education.


C1 - Educatief Professioneel (EDUP)

For those who want to demonstrate they can manage in education or business and therefore need Dutch language skills on a high level.

Would you like to take a CNaVT exam? Please contact Dutch Academy as soon as possible to make sure you have enough time to reach your desired level.

bottom of page